Sunday, May 10, 2009

Rainy Day Projects



ETA: I added the “after” picture of the one dress.

It has been raining on and off for four days here.  The wind was really whipping around today too.  It has settled down now and so far no rain.  I was hoping to be able to work on my vegetable garden this weekend, but Not Possible!  I’m not supposed to be putting any plants in the ground until after May 15th anyhow.  Actually, I think it might even be recommended to wait until Memorial Day.  Looks like that’s what I’ll do.

Anyhow, for the last four or so days, it has been yucky (technical word), so I went to the thrift store and found a few oversized dresses to wear around the house for comfort. They are pretty frumpy looking, but that’s okay because I don’t intend on wearing them in public. I also bought a pretty top.  Unfortunately, they all were way too big or way too long – so I refashioned them.  I also hemmed 4 pairs of slacks for my mom, and 5 pairs if slacks for my grandma.  Guess what?  I’m sick of sewing!!!

By the way, has anyone ever played the game Rummikub? OMG! I’m addicted.  I love the game Rummy to begin with… then my girlfriend Kelly introduced the game Rummikub to me and I’m hooked.  I found the free software game on the internet.  The minute I installed it on my Dell-Mini 10, I knew I was in trouble because I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. playing game after game (and watching television.)  Let me know if you like the game too.  Maybe we can play each other on the Rummikub.com website!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!  

Before and after pics of refashioned clothes:
Dress was long and a large. I forgot to take a pic of it before I cut off the length. Here is a “work in progress”. I’ll take the “after” tomorrow. Too tired right now.
DSC01575 (Medium)   After =: taken sides in, darts, v-neck DSC01602 (Medium)
DSC01587 (Medium) Long and Large  DSC01589 (Medium) Above the knee and taken in.
DSC01583 (Medium) Large and a bit too poofy DSC01585 (Medium) Added two darts in the front, took in the sides from armpits down, and shortened straps a little bit.

signature5-20-09

Pin It

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Your alterations are wonderful, an you will get some good wear out of the repurposed garments. I'm surprised more people have never tried sewing or doing some simple repairs to extend the life of their clothes.

Yes, I have played Rummikub, mostly with my mother and sometimes with my sister. I have a version of it on my computer, too.

Let's hope the wind and rain will stop soon so you can get into the garden. The end of May is a safe time to plant in my area, too, although some years it does frost even into June.

Mrs. Shields said...

wow - what a talent!

Post a Comment

I am always happy to hear from my fellow bloggers, friends, and family. If you do not want to leave a comment here, please feel free to email me at melisas-place@roadrunner.com.